Process and Documentation to Import a Motor Vehicle into Dominican Republic
Guidelines to follow while importing used car in Dominican Republic :-
Shipping Ports :-
Port for shipment of used vehicle in Dominican Republic is Rio Haina.
Left-hand drive vehicles :-
Importation of left-hand drive vehicles is allowed in the country.
Documents required :-
- Original certificate of Title and Registration
- Commercial/Purchase Invoice – original & driver’s license, & license plate
- Residence Visa
- Dominican Consular invoice – original, stamped at nearest Dominican Consulate
Certain points to consider while importing in Dominican Republic :-
- Only one vehicle is allowed for importation per person.
- All vehicles being imported must be in the owner’s possession for a minimum of one year before importation.
- Engine size on all imported vehicles is limited to six cylinders.
- Importation of all luxury vehicles is prohibited.
- Motorcycles are subject to taxes and duties.
- It is important for the importer to be present in the Dominican Republic for customs clearance of any vehicle.
- As a new resident you can bring in a car at little or no duty if you have owned it for two years, and it is less than five years old.