Returning Residents Information: Jamaica
The following information is made available by The Jamaica Information Service
Who is a Returning Resident?
A Jamaican national who has attained the age of eighteen (18) years and has been residing overseas for not less than three (3) consecutive years and is returning to Jamaica to reside permanently.
A Returning Resident must satisfy the following requirements:
- Be a Jamaican National who has attained the age of eighteen (18) years.
- Must be landed in Jamaica on a valid Jamaican Passport or on an international passport that is endorsed with the unconditional landing stamp by the Passport Immigration and Citizenship Agency (PICA).
- A non-Jamaican whose spouse is a Jamaican Returning Resident.
- A Jamaican who wishes to return home and has given up his/her citizenship and can provide proof of previous status.
In addition to the above requirements a Returning Resident must visit the Returning Resident Unit at the Jamaica Customs Agency’s Head Office and provide the following documentation:
- Tax Returns for the last three (3) consecutive years; that is, 1040 accompanied with W2/1099, T4, P60, or any other document deemed appropriate by the relevant authority
- Tax Return Transcript from the relevant authority
- Letter of separation from employer, outlining duration of employment on the company’s letter head, stamped and signed
- Current retirement papers/ pension advice/ Social Security Letter
- Proof of retirement, such as a bus pass/freedom pass
- Evidence of recent disposal of property owned
- Evidence of property owned in Jamaica
- Contract or letter of employment from prospective employer in Jamaica
- Rental or lease contract along with a receipt
NB: 1) A Returning Resident who is returning with any item that will be considered eligible under the Returning Resident status must meet the above criteria
2) Qualified applicants can benefit only once from this concession
3) A Returning Resident and his or her spouse shall be counted as one, where the Returning Resident and the spouse arrive in Jamaica at the same time or within three years of each other.
Who is a Returning Student?
A Returning Student is a Jamaican National who has attained the age of eighteen (18) years and who has resided abroad for more than 1 year but less than three (3) consecutive years, for the purpose of pursuing a course of study and is returning to Jamaica to reside permanently.
- Letter from last institution of study
- Certified copy of Transcript
- Copy of I-20 form, as appropriate. The form should be certified by the last institution attended
- Identification Card that was issued by the institution attended
ENTITLEMENT OF RETURNING STUDENT
- A reasonable quantity of used household effects as well as instruments, tools, equipment, or machinery, whether used or new, which the Proper officer is satisfied are not imported for sale or commercial exchange
- Electronic equipment ( new or used)
- one television set
- one video recorder
- one component set (which may include a CD player)
- one personal computer
- one printer
- One printer stand
- One computer stand
- Reasonable quantity of musical instruments
- Tools of trade
A DEPORTED PERSON
A deported person is any person to whom a Deportation Order is made against him/her. This order requires the person in respect of whom it is made, to leave and remain out of a particular country.
- Deportation Order and case file
- Letter from Passport Immigration and Citizenship Agency (PICA)
- Proof of address
- Taxpayer Registration Number (TRN)
- Valid identification
- Validated Bill of Lading/Airway Bill
- Unaccompanied baggage declaration (C27) Form
Deported persons will receive the entitlement similar to a Returning Resident
In order to import the personal and household items of a Jamaican National who is deceased, the following document should be presented to the Returning Resident Unit at the Jamaica Customs Agency:
- Death Certificate
- Jamaican Passport
- Letter from a Notary Public stating that the person has died
- List of items being shipped
- Any other supporting document
NB. All documents submitted to the Returning Resident Unit will be verified. Falsified documentation will constitute a breach of Section 209 of the Customs Act and shall be liable to a penalty not exceeding Five Hundred Thousand Dollars ($500,000.00) or treble the value of the goods to which the offence relates, whichever is greater.
PERSONAL AND HOUSEHOLD EFFECTS
Personal and household effects are those items of furniture and household equipment which are necessary to re-establish residence in Jamaica. A specified amount of such items, whether new or used, can be imported free of Customs Duty by any of the above categories.
TOOLS OF TRADE
Tools of trade are instruments, tools, equipment, devices and machines used in the normal course and scope of a person’s profession, trade or occupation.
Returning Residents who wish to import items that fall under this definition in order to pursue their profession, trade or occupation, may do so free of Customs Duty, with the exception of the applicable fees, provided the Returning Resident Unit is satisfied that:
- the individual is qualified to use them
- the tools of trade (instruments, tools, equipment, devices and machines) are used in the normal course and scope of a person’s profession, trade or occupation.
- they are not imported for sale or commercial exchange
Importing a Motor Vehicle
The Motor Vehicle Importation Policy is primarily administered by the Trade Board Limited, that is responsible for granting Import Licences for motor vehicle importation. Approval must be granted by the Trade Board Limited before shipping the vehicle to Jamaica.
The importation of pets or other animals will require a Permit from the Veterinary Services Division of the Ministry Of Agriculture prior to importation. In the case of dogs, only those born and bred in the United Kingdom may be imported into Jamaica. Certification to this effect must be obtained also from the relevant authority in the United Kingdom.
Importation of plants will require a Permit from the Chief Quarantine Officer at the Ministry Of Agriculture. The application should be made in writing to include the name, quantity, and country of origin of the plant.
IMPORTANT CONTACT INFORMATION
Returning Resident Unit
Jamaica Customs Agency
Myers’ Wharf, Newport East
Telephone: 750 3098 or 750 3005
Diaspora and Consular Affairs Department
Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade
21 Dominica Drive
Telephone: 926 4220
Plant Quarantine Office
Ministry of Agriculture
193 old Hope Road
Telephone: 977 0637
Veterinary Services Division
Ministry of Agriculture
193 old Hope Road
Telephone: 977 2489
Trade Board Limited
72 Harbour Street
Telephone: 967 0507
Transcaribe, transcaribe, Trans Caribe, trans caribe, transcaribe shippers, trans caribe express, trans carib, transcarib, transcaribe freight, trans caribe freight, caribe express, ship to jamaica, ship to kingston, ship to montego bay, ship to puerto rico, ship to belize, ship to suriname, ship to st croix, ship to st lucia, ship to st martin, ship to virgin islands, ship to trinidad, ship to tobago, ship to barbados, ship to dominica, ship to pananma, ship to the dominican republic, shipping to the caribbean, new jersey, nj, freight, movers, moving company, ocean freight, sea freight, cargo, freight forwarding, freight forwarders, freight handling, freight handler, east orange, 163 tremont ave, orange, west orange, union, elizabeth, rahway, edison, ocean, red bank, paterson, princeton, south brunswick, north brunswick, willingboro, irvington, maplewood, paterson, asbury park, trenton, new brunswick, east brunswick, englewood, teaneck, paramus, pennsylvania, pa, new york, ny, brooklyn, bronx, queens, nyc, connecticut, maine, me, boston, nantucket, cape cod, hyannis, new hampshire, nh, massachusettes, ma, florida, fl, miami, fort lauderdale, pembroke pines, miami, atlanta, georgia, ga, caribe trans, caribetrans, econocaribe, econo caribe,
laparkan, dennis shipping, caribbean shipping, caribbean shipping, south america, central america, usa, america, caribe shipping, trans continental shipping, transcontinental shipping, sea shipping, sea cargo, fcl, ftl, lcl, ltl, lcl freight, transit, calculate, track shipping, tropical shipping, international shipping, worldwide shipping, overseas shipping, ship barrels, ship car, ship boat, ship automobiles, ship vehicles, cheap shipping, economy shipping, safe shipping, cargo rate quote, CFS, bonded, warehouse,transportation, export, ship container, ship barrels, barrel, carton, box, drum, crate, online booking, international, global, logistics, shipping barrels, boxes, crate shipping to the caribbean islands, ocean
freight, shipping service, door-to-door service, air freight